Our world, for a while now, has been a part of a media revolution. Media is everywhere. From news sites to social media to YouTube, media constantly shapes what we think, how we think, and what we believe. Basically, it’s important. And in our future, the skills that come with learning about journalism can play a very important role in how we live and interact with media. The good news is, though, that you can join journalism at your very own school with your friends. In Saber Slate, students like you not only research and report on a wide range of topics–from local to worldwide–we also get creative and publish a few funny articles here and there. The FHS Journalism Club (a.k.a. Saber Slate) is a student-led organization that wants you to join them. So here are 10 reasons why you should join in on the fun:
- Not to be repetitive, but it’s super fun.
- You meet many new people and make a ton of friends.
- It looks great on college applications (it really does).
- It assists in your research and writing skills (a LOT).
- It helps with time management (sadly, life demands timeliness from us, puny humans)
- You develop new interests and expand your scope of life (deep–I know).
- It gives you the opportunity to make a change in the world (you’re helping educated people; if ignorance is bliss, eating ice-cream every day doesn’t make me unhealthy).
- There’s something for everyone (choose any topic you want!).
- We have snacks (nothing else to say here).
- You have a cool trick to impress your friends and family (search your name on Google with Franklin after it and watch as all your amazing work pops up and smacks them in the face with your glory).
It’s not just about learning, friends, or yes, even food, it’s about making your school and the people around you smarter and more well-informed–fostering a better school community for all of us.
JOIN SABER SLATE!!